Kellyanne Conway’s False Refugee Massacre Claim Isn’t Even the Most Shocking Part of This Interview
Conway described a terrorist attack to Chris Matthews that never happened.
By Alexandra Rosenmann / AlterNet …In the new Trump era, using “alternative facts” to describe crowd size seems almost benign compared to inventing a massacre; but that’s just what Kellyanne Conway did in an interview with MSNBC’s Chris Matthews late Thursday.
The president’s senior adviser attempted to scapegoat refugees by blaming them for the “Bowling Green massacre” when asked to defend Trump’s temporary ban on U.S. immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries.
"In this case, he is calling for extreme vetting from seven countries that President Obama first identified," Conway said regarding Trump’s ban announced Friday, January 27.
"All he did was take his lead," she continued. "He didn’t even add to the list; it’s seven countries that were previously identified by President Obama as being high risk, as being states that either harbor, train… and/or export terrorism."
Conway then explained that while the ban is temporary, it’s also necessary, citing a terrorist attack that never happened. And because it never happened, it also didn’t get covered.
Here’s what did: In 2011, two Iraqi citizens were arrested and indicted on federal terrorism charges in western Kentucky after their alleged plans to carry out Improvised Explosive Device (IED) attacks against U.S. troops in Iraq were discovered. It’s the closest news report to Conway’s claim.
"As a result of the Kentucky case, the State Department stopped processing Iraq refugees for six months in 2011, federal officials told ABC News—even for many who had heroically helped U.S. forces as interpreters and intelligence assets," ABC News reported.
However, the most horrifying part of the interview is that Chris Matthews never calls out Conway’s false claim. He simply moves on, and it’s not clear he’s even listening.
"Budding journalist, THIS is why you must LISTEN in an interview. @KellyannePolls makes up the Bowling Green Massacre. No follow up. LISTEN!," tweeted Roland S. Martin, host and managing editor of TV One’s daily morning show, NewsOne Now.
Filed under: Blogroll |