Fox dropped O’Reilly, but activists want more from the network
Fox News’s decision to drop Bill O’Reilly from the network’s popular primetime slate was seen only as a first step by groups that have been pushing for his ouster.
The company announced Wednesday afternoon that “after a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel.”
A New York Times report this month revealed that five women had been paid more than $13 million by either the network or O’Reilly to settle sexual harassment accusations against him. After dozens of advertisers pulled out of sponsoring his show, O’Reilly went on vacation, and was expected to return next week prior to Wednesday’s statement. O’Reilly had been at Fox for two decades, and his show — “The O’Reilly Factor” — was the highest-rated show on cable news. …….Read the Article
BILL O’REILLY IS OUT The Fox star has been let go from the network following a mass exodus of advertisers over sexual harassment allegations. Executives at Fox reportedly fear more will come out in the coming months. O’Reilly’s name has already been scrubbed from "The Factor," a show he hosted to much acclaim for 20 years, and Tucker Carlson is taking over his time slot. This is what Twitter thinks O’Reilly will do next. Here’s how the rise of President Donald Trump led to O’Reilly’s fall. And take a look at the timeline of the "nine and a half months that shook Fox News." [HuffPost]
By Brennan Suen, Katherine Hess , Media Matters
Twenty-one years of racism, sexism and homophobia. READ MORE»
By Elizabeth Preza, AlterNet
The Fox News anchor is sure as hell he isn’t racist… unless you actually know what racism means. READ MORE»
Fox News Confirms That Bill O’Reilly Won’t Return to Air
04-19-2017 • http://www.hollywoodreporter.com
Weeks after revelations surfaced that Bill O’Reilly settled several sexual harassment claims ?" leading to an advertiser exodus from his Fox News program ?" the embattled host is out of a job. The announcement came from parent 21st Cent
Bill O’Reilly, the star of Fox News’ prime-time lineup, is leaving the network after more than two decades.
"After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the Company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel," 21st Century Fox said in a statement Wednesday.
The announcement comes after revelations surfaced in The New York Times earlier this month that O’Reilly had settled several sexual harassment claims leading to advertisers fleeing O’Reilly’s show and a sustained protest movement against him.
"This decision follows an extensive review done in collaboration with outside counsel," Rupert, Lachlan and James Murdoch wrote in a note to staff. "By ratings standards, Bill O’Reilly is one of the most accomplished TV personalities in the history of cable news. In fact, his success by any measure is indisputable. Fox News has demonstrated again and again the strength of its talent bench. We have full confidence that the network will continue to be a powerhouse in cable news."
"Lastly, and most importantly, we want to underscore our consistent commitment to fostering a work environment built on the values of trust and respect."
Sources: Fox News Has Decided Bill O’Reilly Has to Go
Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:38 PM EDT
Bill O’Reilly has been forced out of his position as a prime-time host on Fox News, the company said on Wednesday, after the disclosure of multiple settlements involving sexual harassment allegations against him. His ouster brings an abrupt and embarrassing end to his two-decade reign as one of the most popular and influential commentators in television.
Filed under: Blogroll |